Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Nars Luminous Weightless Foundation. Buy or Bail? (Part 1)

In Color Tahoe
Add caption
Marc Jacobs

To get a full listing of all the products used in the look above, check out Part 2
CLICK HERE

I recently purchased a new foundation that has been getting rave reviews. Nars Cosmetics All Day Luminous Weightless Foundation (i know, super long name). I've heard so many great things about this foundation so I just had to have it. So let's talk about it for a minutes.

Nars describes this foundation as "Full, natural-looking coverage with unexpectedly weightless, 16-hour wear. Highly pigmented and perfectly balanced, this breakthrough formula builds and blends effortlessly with just one drop—the result of exclusive innovation uniquely designed to deliver long-wearing full coverage, weightlessly. Shake, pump and blend in sections for complete coverage that's completely natural looking".

 KEY CLAIMS

92% felt the foundation provided coverage without masking*
93% thought it felt weightless*
90% said it felt comfortable and breathable*
*based on an independent consumer study after one week of use.

FEATURES

  • Advanced flexible polymers move with the skin, providing extraordinary breathability and comfort.
  • First-to-market treated pigments weightlessly deliver long-wearing, complete coverage without ever masking for perfected, natural-looking skin.
  • Gold and green pigments in a perfect 4-to1 ratio optically manipulate how light reflects off skin's surface, evening the complexion for instant luminosity. Green pigments negate redness on contact, while gold combats dullness.
Scarlet Spiderling Root Extract helps reduce the appearance of discoloration and reveal brighter, more even skin over time.

MY ASSESMENT

Packaging|: As always, Nars packaging is extremely sleek and enticing. The bottle is frosted and sheer so that you can view the shade, it has a pump ( a major plus in my book) so that you can accurately dispense how much you want to use and the top is the normal matte black as all others products.

Price|: This foundation is more on the pricey side. It retails for $48.00 which with tax clearly is over $50.00. It's a luxury brand so it's expected.  

Smell|: There is no overly fragrant smell to this foundation. I have a very keen nose and this foundation doesn't have anything that would turn you off from it.



Feel|: As advertised, it is extremely weightless in feel. I pumped out about 7 pumps onto my palette> I'm a girl who loves full coverage. I found that 7 pumps was too much. This foundation is very fluid in  appearance but it packs a punch. It's highly pigmented. For some, 1 pump may actually be enough. For me, I think 4 pumps is enough. It gives an incredible, highly pigmented, semi-matte finish. It's more satiny than I normal like but it finishes beautifully on the skin.


Shade Range and Availability|: There are 20 shades in this foundation line up. About 8 of those shades are WOC friendly. They span from the lightest of light to a really deep shade. This is a plus in my opinion. I also like that Nars really has neutral, warm and cool tones. The WOC friendly shades aren't all warm. There's a great mixture. This foundation is sold at a variety of high-end retailers plus online. So it isn't hard to get or locate.

Staying Power|: I'm not sure about it lasting 16 hours, but i am positive it lasts at least 12. I put it on around 6am and at 6 in the evening it was still in tact. I blotted oil maybe 3 times through-out the day and that was with my primers. 

Overall Thoughts| Is this foundation worth the price?? I believe it is. The finish of it, once its set is so beautiful. It looks natural, yet gives full coverage which is hard to achieve. It's not overly dewey but not overly matte at the same time. It photographs pretty well.
 Overall, I think this is a winner. Not sure about it lasting through-out the hot summer months but because Spring is still a little cool, I say WHY NOT!

Part Two of this will have MOTD plus pictures of the NARS products used in the above look!

XOXO
 

2 comments:

  1. So my concern is pilling. Some have said that it cracks or pills. Some have said to use without a primer... I've only used it once and with a silicon based primer. What to do? Lastly why do you think it won't work for the summer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't peel on me. And it's more Dewey so it will be harder to control during summer and extreme heat.

      Delete